Artefact 5 - Evaluation

I encountered many difficulties in coding functionality into my augmented reality business card in this artefact. I also had trouble finding methods of augmented reality that would work on mobile devices. I did try using Junaio, an augmented reality browser by using the marker from the previous artefact but I found it difficult to change the 3D model it was producing. I therefore tried coding a version myself but was unsuccessful. After contacting the developers at Junaio they suggested using a different marker as it would be hard for the application to encode and track it correctly.

As I was having trouble producing my AR business card through Junaio for smartphones, I decided to further my research into an AR toolkit for Flash in ActionScript. As Flash utilised a computer's webcam this would hamper the business card's flexibility in mobility however it was more important for me to see it working correctly on a computer rather than on a mobile device. With limited ActionScript knowledge it was difficult to produce what I wanted exactly and not being able to change the model it produce was the biggest problem. The QR Code AR maker however worked better using Flash. Following more research I found an SWF file and connecting source files that would play a video. I then managed to replace the video file with one of my own. I was however unable to change the marker file as it were encoded differently. Once completed and tested, users liked the interactivity and manipulative features. Unfortunately adding audio was a problem.

To conclude, it's a sound way of adding and sharing information to a traditional business card however if you don't have the coding capabilities to add in key functionality like audio it can be an incredibly hard task to perform.

A working example of my 5th Artefact, for those of you who haven't tired it yourself yet.

Posted via email from City&Wool's Posterous

0 comments: