Artefact 6 - Evaluation

Due to the complications of the previous artefact I strayed away from heavy code and opted for further research into projects that are trying to replicate what I'm trying to do. I then came across Daqri. Daqri is currently a beta service that provides users with an easy non-code-heavy way of producing QR Codes that link to information on a user specific web page. It also provides the user with an Augmented Reality feature to add 3D models to the QR Code. The only problem with this is that the AR feature only works through the Daqri application, currently only on iPhone and iPad.

Having been in contact with the developers at Daqri, I've managed to suggest for them to add a feature similar to my last artefact in adding an Augmented Reality video plane as adding video in this way increases its interactivity and the users engagement than just a plain 3D model without animation. I also had a few problems with their mobile as it wasn't optimised for mobile devices and was slow to load.

In testing Daqri's functionalities it does work brilliantly however there are some areas that could be developed and improved. Ultimately the product did what I set out to do which was seeing if QR Codes and AR could help us share information, which it does. My only reserve is that the development of Augmented Reality is slower than QR Codes and it will take a little longer for the full potential of AR to be realised and users create applications for AR to be visually impressive and useful to the user. Nevertheless over the next year I can see a huge increase in the use of QR Codes on advertising and self-promotion items as it is a brilliant way of sharing information quickly.

Posted via email from City&Wool's Posterous

0 comments: