Artefact 4 - Looking into the development of Augmented Reality with the FLARToolKit ((tags: Artefact, Augmented Reality, PRP, Personal Research Project, QR Codes, Quick Response Codes, FLARToolKit, NYARToolKit)

I'm trying to learn how to create an QR-based Augmented Reality business card for my artefact.
 
So to start ARToolKit is the development package that has allowed developers to tap into the power of Augmented Reality and FLARToolKit is an ActionScript 3 port of the Java version of the toolkit. I have therefore found the following sites to help me create my Augmented Reality business card a reality!
 
 
Also this FLARToolKit intoduction has been helpful - http://www.scribd.com/doc/27363030
 
However looking further into how the video below works, the QR Codes resolve to certain codes like 'QRA:3DScyborx10xl' This shows that although the QR Code is being used for AR, it's not able to resolve to a web link or more relevant data. The code that it displays is obviously linked with an XML file of some sorts which generates the 3D image which makes it all possible.
 
 
Further research revealed that I could code into the ActionScript a QR Code Reader that recognizes and decodes any QR Code from any image source - http://blog.jactionscripters.com/2009/05/23/introduction-of-qr-code-reader-library/ which would then and load results into 3D engine.
 
So here's where I can download the FLARToolKit http://www.libspark.org/wiki/saqoosha/FLARToolKit/en
 
 
From all this I need to produce my own AR/QR Code business card. But first, as doing this will take a long time, I want to find out what would be the best using this AR. I want to check what people would find the most beneficial use of AR on a business card would be.
 
The uses could include -
  • A simple 3D avatar
  • A virtual flip book of my portfolio
  • A video/3D presentation
  • Social Network links
Although I would be using AS3, I would like to base my AR App on a mobile device which could complicate things a little. A fix to this would be using the NYARToolKit as I could develop it for Android - http://nyatla.jp/nyartoolkit/wiki/index.php?FrontPage.en
 
Finally to finish off this mash-up of web links to various things, for your enjoyment... Augmented Reality on an iPad2 (personal highlight - Zombie AR game at the end)
 

Posted via email from City&Wool's Posterous

0 comments: